I'm Shelly, a dreamer of big dreams, a recovering perfectionist and "do too much" homeschooling mama of 4 full of energy, life, and incredible kiddos.
Here's a secret: I believe there's a piece in each and every one of us that desires to be healthy, be at least somewhat fashionable, and some who even dream about earning a little extra income!
Join us as we discover how to live a healthy, natural lifestyle, be fashionable, and be incredible mompreneurs!
Inspiration for Fashion, Food, and Living Naturally
I was pregnant with our first daughter when I knew there was something majorly wrong. I was about 6-7 months pregnant, could barely eat, could barely sleep, and I didn't want to get out of bed most days. For weeks , panic attacks wrecked my body and mind. I was even hospitalized a few times, and I knew for my baby, I needed help!
Depression wasn't a new concept for me. My teenage years were plagued with feelings of hopelessness and even suicidal thoughts, but I was always able to fight through it. But this time, I couldn't. I did not want to live, and that meant, I did not want my baby to live either. My eyes are watering as I'm typing this because I don't think I've ever verbalized that. Perhaps you can relate. Perhaps you've been there. Perhaps you're there now! There is hope even when you can't feel it or embrace it. There is hope.
My hope came in the form of Jesus who sent friends and family to help me. He didn't leave me in my mess, and all I had to do was grab hold of his open hand. BUT BUT friend! I also took anti-depressants the remainder of my pregnancy, and even 6 months after. So I'm definitely pro-meds when/if necessary!
Those times of depression were rough, and I wish I could say my life has been peachy since then, BUT every day I choose to fight the mental battles of depression with Jesus, words of affirmation, and ESSENTIAL OILS! I've been off my meds for around 6 years! And here's how I DID IT:
1. Diet: proper eating has a huge impact on your emotions! Since your brain functionality depends on the chemicals it is receiving from your food, your brain then tells your body how to respond. So if you're not getting enough nutrients, it in turn throws off your dopamine and serotonin levels, which are key factors in depression! So eating a proper diet will aid in helping balance your levels, and help you naturally heal internally! Grab a copy of my book "30 Days of #cleaneating" to get started on your health journey today!
2. Toxins: of course there are toxins and chemicals in almost everything, but did you know the toxins and chemicals in candles, shampoos, lotions, hair products, make-up, household cleaners, are getting absorbed into our bloodstreams and in turn wreaking havoc on our limbic system, hormones, nervous system and more? Yes! So removing toxins out of the household and skincare products will help boost your dopamine and serotonin levels, combatting depression JUST by adapting a more natural lifestyle! Yep! I got rid of all my candles and plug-ins, and other toxic hand soaps, dish detergents and cleaning supplies!! Sad face! But it was totally worth it! :)
3. Oils: almost 2 years ago, I bought a Young Living Premium Starter Kit, and my life has never been the same. I go into my journey with essential oils HERE, but it was the best financial investment outside of tithing each month! Oils have enhanced our quality of living through helping with my sons allergies, seasonal asthma-like flare-ups, any belly issues, and so much more! And we've been able to get rid of our candles, and replace it with our diffuser and amazing oils! So what are the 10 best essential oils for depression I'm sure you're wondering?
1. Frankincense: lifts spirits and inner strength, helps balance emotions
2. Orange: boosts the olfactory systems of the brain that evokes emotional responses, helps balance hormones, uplifting and calming, and helps boost libido.
3. Sandalwood: helps clear the mind and increase focus and has a positive effect on the limbic system! Also it helps balance emotions.
4. Copaiba: helps ease the mind and uplift the mood
5. Clary Sage: naturally increases your levels of dopamine and it's natural anti-anxiety and anti-depressant
6. Ylang Ylang: natural anti-depressant, decreases cortisol levels, increases libido
7. Rose: uplifts mood, fortifies emotions, anti-stress relief
8. Geranium: helps improve mental functioning and lifts the mood
9. Lavender: calming, natural stress reliever,
10. Cedarwood: works on the limbic system where our emotions are recorded, improves mood, lifts spirits
Depression does not have to steal your joy! Depression does not have to rule your mind! You can overcome depression! With Jesus, with the proper diet, with removing toxins out of your home and daily life, by repeating positive affirmations out loud daily, and by incorporating essential oils into your every life! It is possible! I'm a living witness of the power of Jesus, and the power of healthy living! And you can overcome too friend! You got this!
Click here to get started on your OILY JOURNEY today!
**NOTE: Young Living nor I claim to cure or treat any diseases, or illnesses! If you have medical concerns, please consult with your physician! If you feel suicidal, please seek help immediately!